Wednesday, April 29, 2009

UPDATE: Emergency PTA Meeting regarding Title I

April 29, 2009

Parents at the PTA meeting of Tuesday, April 28, voted unanimously for SWP.


April 23, 2009

Dear Parents/Guardians,
We are excited to announce that WJPS has been designated as a Title I school. Title I funds are calculated based on the information from school lunch forms. Under the federal No Child Left Behind Las and new state and local regulations, the criterial for being designated as Title I was expanded so that we now qualify to apply.

WJPS will be receiving a substantial increase in resources to enhance and improve professional development, parent involvement, instructional tools, technology, student performance and expand educational initiatives. All programs developed from Title I must be education driven, and follow the school's Comprehensive Education Plan (CEP). A sub-comittee of the School Leadership Team (SLT) will work on Title I programs.

Funding may be used in one of two ways. SWP (School Wide Program) allows for all students to participate and use programs and instructional materials that Title I pays for. The other option is TAS (Targe Assistant School). Under TAS, fund are restricted to only those students who qualify for Title I funding. TAS severly restricts the ammount of students who can participate in programs paid for with Title I funds.

We need your help! On Tuesday, April 28, we are having a special PTA meeting to discuss our Title I designation and vote on whether the money will be used as SWP. Please come to the meeting to learn more about this vital program.

EMERGENCY PTA MEETING
TUESDAY, APRIL 28 7:00 PM
VOTE ON OUR TITLE I PROGRAMMING

If you have questions, or need more information, please contact Ms. Reed, Parent Coordinator.

Thank you,
WJPS PTA

No comments: